Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Beautiful Beginnings

Today marks the beginning of many new things:

1. After spending $50EC on transportation (their first time in the car!) and $110EC at Grenada SPCA, both pups are now
(1) vaccinated (5-in-1),
(2) have their rabie shots,
(3) are dewormed,
(4) placed on Revolution, the anti-flea/tick/heartworm/mange prevention treatment
(5) Got their ears cleaned

They will go into SGU Vet Clinic for their booster shots 3 weeks from now.

2. Choco is starting to learn to walk on a harness/leash. Initially, she resisted with all her might. Workers would pause to look at us as we practiced walking. They had a smile on their faces. At the end of our 45 minute walk, I see progress. Cannot wait to see what tomorrow brings :)

3. Choco gave me the best present this morning....I did not wake up to a pool of urine :) Hippie!! While Novaya is already housebroken, Choco still urinates in the room. But today, she was able to hold it in and waited until 5am to wake me up for a bathroom run. Throughout the day, she did not go to the bathroom in my room either and would wait until bathroom time to let it all out in "the wild, wild west." Novaya even held in her diarrhea (the medication is flushing out all the unwanted stuff in the body) and waited for our walks to let it out. I am touched.

4. When I sat down on the floor today, Novaya ran into my lap and wanted a belly rub. With the passing of each day, she is becoming more and more domesticated. While Choco intially behaved like a wild hooligan on the leash, at home, she gave me kisses.....Choco gave me kisses!!! Truth be told, if I did not have prior committment to two dogs (Tinky of GND and Hobbit of California), I would keep Novaya and Choco. I cannot imagine more loving dogs than them and to think that they were former street dogs as well.

Novaya would actually wait by the door for my return. How adorable is that? She is sleeping right next to me too! While there are many places for her to sleep in such as on the pillow, comfortable beds, airy/spacious/cool tiles in other parts of the apartment, or even in her private den underneath my bed, she would rather sleep cramped next to my desk with her neck leaning against my desk and her muzzle against my chair.

My heart hurts a little when I think about the day when they go to their forever homes, but I know that I cannot keep them. If I did keep them, I would end up with 4 dogs and that won't be fair to any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment