Monday, January 19, 2009

C&N Update

A lot has changed. My landlord asked me to get rid of the puppies as soon as possible. As a result, I had to drop them off at SPCA.

That day when I dropped off Novaya and Choco at SPCA in Grenada, Caribbeans, the SPCA lady told me that Novaya tried to bite her when she tried to pick her up. Immediately, I picked up Novaya and all was fine.

A few days ago, my friend (who is interested in adopting Choco) and I went to SPCA again. Initially, Novaya did not recognize me. She ran to the furtherest part of the kennel and gave aggressive dog parks. After I kneeled and called her name, she came wagging toward me and started to lick my hand. SPCA told me that they had to move Novaya from one part of the compound to another b/c her high pitch barks were disturbing neighbors.

We went to see Choco. Choco is not a barker. When we talk to the caretaker, he runs to other dogs and lays down to them, even though they are in kennels themselves, but he is free to run around.

SPCA told us that these two puppies are "feral-like" and are hard to adopt out. However, when I play with them, they are just like ordinary puppies. I think they are use to me and behave very affectionately. They might not pass the initial first impression with strangers, but with a patient, doggie-experienced household, they will flourish. During the short time that I had Novaya and Choco, I even took Novaya onto buses and shopping malls!

The future owners of these pups must understand that these pups were former street dogs and need a lot of patience/time in order to blossom. Their family need to give a lot of praise, love, time, and energy. Choco is a follower and would like to have a doggie sibling, while Novaya likes to be the only dog. Choco is smart; she lets Novaya do things first and if Novaya survives, she will follow. Smart? Ehh?

In sum, though SPCA claim these pups are feral dogs, when I am around, they eagerly give kisses on my face and hand just like any domesticated pups will. Their homes need to invest love, time, devotion, and trust in these pups. If they do so, just like I have, they will have loyal friends for the rest of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment